Recent Additions:

Use the Google Translator in the top right-hand corner. Type in: mrhitchner.blogspot.com where it says "enter text here." Select "English" and then the language you want it translated to.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Alcatraz...so close but so far away

 
During Winter Break, I had the opportunity to visit San Francisco for the first time. Touring Alcatraz was at the top of my list for things I wanted to do; unfortunately tours must be booked months in advance. I never did get to see Alcatraz up close and personal. Instead it would remain a mysterious island that I only knew general information about. As I looked at Alcatraz from Pier 39, I wondered more and more about the island. I began to come up with many questions: When was it first established? How many people could it hold? Why is it no longer in use? How often did people escape? Did many people survive after they escaped? Do islands serve as a good place to have prisons? 

What do you know about Alcatraz? What questions do you have? If you are unfamilar with Alcatraz, I challenge you to do some investigating and report back any information you've learned.

6 comments:

  1. I have seen a show where a guy saw a demone with red glowing eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Hitchner did you wanted to go to the alcatraz prison up close?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariana-

    I was hoping I could get closer but the tours were all booked. If I go back to San Francisco I'll make sure I have reservations for the tour ahead of time. I wonder how many people the prison held?

    Mr. Hitchner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Hitchner: This is Jasmin R. writing. I am sitting at Mrs. King's computer here at Picnic Point. I really miss my class room in Horizon and i want to go back . I might go visit some day. But anyway that's really cool that you went to San Francisco. I get to do land formes agin. Mr.Hitchner you should come to our school for a feald trep.wich Would be cool.Mr.Hitchner was it cold in Alcatraz. I mess everone at Hrizon in my class hope you emall my teacher so i have a opportunity to say Hi to my class room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jasmin,

    It was so nice hearing from you! I shared your message with the class. We all say "hi" too and we're glad you are settling in nicely at Picnic Point. I'm sure you will be a great mentor for your classmates when it comes to learning about Landforms. San Francisco was a lot of fun. The weather was very similar to our weather. I think it's a little warmer in California right now. Stay in touch!

    -Mr. Hitchner

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI JASMIN,
    WE ALLM ISS YA TOO MOSTLY JENNIFER,KARLA,YASMIN,MARIA,MARIANA! AND ME! MY FRIEND USED TO GO TO PICNIC POINT!

    ReplyDelete