Recent Additions:

Use the Google Translator in the top right-hand corner. Type in: mrhitchner.blogspot.com where it says "enter text here." Select "English" and then the language you want it translated to.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Books!!!



Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

Yesterday I found myself wandering through Barnes and Noble. I must have done at least three laps around the store. I stopped for a second and thought about how much I enjoyed being there. I then began to reflect about my own reading. What was it that i enjoyed so much about being there? As crazy as it might sound, I didn''t fully appreciate or enjoy reading until after college. I often think, what if I enjoyed reading this much when I was younger? As a youngster, the idea of reading sounded fun to me. My mom would buy books for me that I thought I wanted to read and I always saw my dad reading so I assumed that I would fit the same mold. Unfortunately, I found myself reading five pages and puting the book back on the shelf and not touching it again until it was time for a garage sale.  For me, I find joy in the fact that I can learn and apply things that I read about to my own life. I enjoy talking to others about what I've read. I enjoy hearing about books I haven't read. I enjoy piling new information for myself each time I read. Books and reading will always be timeless. Reading is something that you can't force upon someone. I believe it's something you come to on your own. For some, it happens earlier, with my case it happened later. I hope that my students will be able to recognize the power that comes with reading. Books and knowledge will always be available. It's up to you when you decide to pick it up off the shelf and open up your world.

What do you enjoy about reading? What do you not enjoy about reading? How could reading be more enjoyable for you?

3 comments:

  1. i like to read books because they have something to tell about what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like comics because u see good pictures and read funny text but i hate books that just have lame words because it doesnt get me inside the book...

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did you find a stor like that it must be hard. and did you buy any books?

    ReplyDelete