Recent Additions:

Use the Google Translator in the top right-hand corner. Type in: mrhitchner.blogspot.com where it says "enter text here." Select "English" and then the language you want it translated to.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cactus


I came all the way to Arizona and figured I had to get a picture with a cactus. We spotted these particular cacti on the top of a hill off the highway. Without a path to the top, my brother-in-law Kevin and I would have to hike a little ways. I was wearing flip flops and shorts and all I could think about was trying to avoid stepping on sharp plants or rattlesnakes. Kevin led the way and off we went. Each step I made was careful and calculated. "Don't step near that rock, it looks like a rattlesnake could live under there," I would say to myself. "That bush looks sharp, step over that," I cautioned myself. After about 15 minutes of tip toeing through the desert hill, we finally made it to the top. I handed Kevin my phone and thought of my best pose between two cacti. "It says your phone storage is full, it won't let me take a picture," says Kevin. He hands me the phone back as I quickly delete some photos from my phone while I also check my surroundings for rattlesnakes. I hand the phone back to Kevin and walk step by step to my position between the two spiky, torturous trees. SNAP! The picture is taken and ready to upload to the blog. Now I just need to make it back down the hill avoiding anything that would like to feast on my feet or bare legs so I can write this blog. I'm sure you could figure out what happens with the rest of the story.

What do you know about cacti (cactus)? Have you ever done something that you were fearful of but you did it anyway? What risks have you taken where the outcome was positive?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

18 comments:

  1. Mr.Hitchner i went on top of hills a lot when i was like 4 and we went walking to the top of the hill i was freaked out to death.
    I think u got hurt when u were going back down our something funny or sad happend u know u could of something we talked about in class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that Cactus are really sharp and they can hurt u really bad!!!!!

    Yes I have taken risks to do something like for example jump off of my house roof and it is sooo high but then i notice that I DID IT!!!!!

    YES I DID SOMETHING IWAS FEARFUL OF,
    I JUMPED OFF OF A BIG,HIGH AND METAL PLAYGROUND,AND BOY,WAS I SCARED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think those are the biggest cactus i ever seen so far but i think in the world record book there are probably taller cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that some cactus can grow food on them and also juice

    ReplyDelete
  5. the cactus is giant.yes i have.a ride that goes really high and it gets you really dizy and its called viper it was at the Monroe fair and i went to other different ones

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw in a world record book that the world record for the talest cactus is 70 feet. the thing i was fearful is when i got on a rollarcoster. I did a risk of climing a tree to 20 feet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know about cacti ,that they can hurt you because they have this thing on them that if you touch them it will be pain that's why you should not touch them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever been near a cactus? How did it feel? One time in calfornia at my grandma's house she has a pool, then my dad said that if I jump of my gradma's roof into the pool he would take everybody to Disneyland and I did and he did keep his promise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEY MR.H I JUST WANTED 2 TELL U THAT ON TUESDAY NOV.16 I WILL NOT BE AT SCHOOL BECAUSE ITS HOLIDAY FOR MY RELIGION AND I JUST WANTED 2 TELL U THAT BECUZ MY MOM SAID 2 TELL U!!!!!!

    HOPE U R DOING WELL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you done this before Mr. Hitchner?I know that cacti have pricks kinda like a thorn bush.Well I was kinda afraid to climb a tree before but than I did it and it was so much fun I loved it!!!And this other time I acciedentally threw my jacket over the gate in the back of my appartment buildings and I had to go get it, it was dry andmy friend got it for me.And it was wet outside very wet,.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that some cacti have water in them that you can drink if your stranded in the desert. I saw it on discovery channle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that ther pouci and gren.no a have never done some thing a am scred about.never.

    ReplyDelete
  13. no i hadn't and i will not want to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw the big cactus are they rilly that toll. what I know about cactus is that it has woter in them and cactus have spice on them . And I have tocin rice by climing the top of a houa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that cacti they have big roots.I had to pet a snake ,but,I didpet the snake.When I did my risk I need to go down a hill with my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr.Hitchner the only thing I know is when it rains the water gose in the cactus and when you cut it open water will come out.I had to go get some thing for my mom and it was dark out but my mom needed to have it so I toke a risk to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHAT I KNOW ABOUT CACTI IS THAT THEY HAVE WATER IN THEM AND ANIMALS DRINK THAT WATER TO SURVIVE,ANDTHEY ARE SPIKY.
    NO I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING I WAS AFRAID OF.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Mr.hitchner about the question um what i know about caticatus is that they have watre in it and if you are stuck in the desrt the caticatus could save your life.Me and my mom went to the zoo and she tlod me to touch the dolehin and i was scared But i touch it and it felt awsome when i did some thing that i was afrade of then i did it .

    ReplyDelete